Friday, October 31, 2008

Kamath Loka Ruchi

My visit to mysore and other places nearby there, is incomplete without my visit to 'Kamath Loka Ruchi' enroute. The eat-out comes on the Bangalore - Mysore expressway. Recently, I visited the place to have a nice south indian meal with my family. Eating a meal there was a joyful experience as always. I had gone there with a fixed meal in mind - the popular north Karnataka 'jowar roti meals' ( or the jawar bhaakri like they call it)... We were given a multitude of meal-options by the staff there. I chose what I came for. My parents, not knowing better, followed suite. Di ( my sis ) opted for the Karavalli ( costal Karnataka ) meals. For some quaint
reason, my sis and me take unusual delight in having south indian meals...So this was her chance of experimenting. While the meal hadn't arrived, me n sis kept asking one of the waiters about the meal contents.. Gauging our less than perfect kannada, he was nice enough to give us a description of the meal in Hindi. My mouth grew increasingly watery as the minutes snailed by... Finally, they got us plantain leaves and served the first dish - the 'payasam' - a sweet
made out of mung dal and jaggery. I usually avoid sweets. They make me sick. But this payasam was steaming hot... and tempting. So i abandoned my no-sweets diktat for the moment and gulped down the entire cup of it. I din't realise m eating too fast until I saw my parents relish every whit of it. I looked into their plates hoping to get some of their's, but quit the idea soon. They din't look too keen on sharing it either.. :)
Next there was a little salad made out of channa - dal n cucumber, with a glass of machige ( butter milk). A vegetable curry made out of horse gram, followed by some stuffed brinjal...The waiter, dressed in a typically north-karnataka attire, served the garam garam Jowar Rotis topped with a generous helping of butter ( I quickly brushed
aside the calorie-clock ticking in my head...).. I don know how many of the rotis I gorged down ( it was being served continuously ). After having a good share of the rotis, there was rice and drumstick sambar ( a typical south indian lentil dish )... Everybody finished up the meal with a nice helping of fruit salad with icecream ( i dint eat that.. :)..).. Sis meanwhile was enjoying her Karavali meal which had a lot of coconut stew with rice noodles... Had some of that too. Yummy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Prachi then u should come home sometime:)

Kaushik said...

it's been a long time that you've blogged.. Kuch likho :-)

Kaushik said...

Guess what, latest update: Kamat Lokaruchi has almost gone to the dogs. The place has become just another over-hyped over-priced not worth the money affair. Had food there today and it was very bad. The butter milk was sour to the core (it's happening for second time), the salad was smelling spoiled and service was very slow ( and today being a weekday with fewer customers). And all these with a heavy price tag of 100Rs for that meal. Weekends it'll be jam-packed and takes more then an hour to get your food. I would any day suggest Kamat Bugle-Rock instead of Lokaruchi. It doesn't worth the drive till that far these days. Bugle rock is from the same group but have much better food, ambiance and service and that too closer to home.